Harvard Girls Lacrosse
2017 FAQ’s for Players and Parents
When is the Harvard Youth Lacrosse Season?
Late March to mid-June.
Proposed 2017 League Schedule
- Outdoor practices start March 28th & 29th (subject to weather and field conditions)
- April 2 - Week #1 for 5/6 and 7/8 schedule (8 games plus Jamboree)
- April 9 - Week #1 for 3/4 schedule (7 games plus Jamboree)
- April 16 Easter weekend
- April 23 Second weekend of April Vacation (regular week)
- April 30
- May 7
- May 14
- May 21
- June 4
- June 11 - Jamboree (1/2, 3/4, 5/6 and 7/8)
Who do we play? When and where?
Harvard is in the Founders League. We play teams from the following towns: Acton-Boxborough, Belmont, Brookline, Canton, Concord-Carlisle, Dedham, Dover-Sherborn, Franklin, Medfield, Milton, Natick, Needham, Newton, Norwood, Sudbury, Walpole, Waltham, Wayland, Wellesley, Weston, Westford, & Westwood
- Away Games are typically within 20-30 minutes of Harvard.
Grades 1-2 will have no formal games
- Local scrimmages may be arranged with teams from Acton, Westford, Concord, etc...
When are the games?
When are the Practices?
3 Pre-Season Indoor Practices at Teamworks in Acton on Sunday afternoons in March.
This will be an opportunity for the girls to meet their coaches and teammates.
Outdoor Practices ideally start March 28th & 29th (subject to weather conditions and field conditions)
- Grades 5th & 6th (AB Girls Program)
Wednesday Team Practices from 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm
Wednesday evening and Saturday afternoon Team Practices at Middle School Field
- Grades 1st & 2nd (Learn to Play Program)
Saturday Skills/Development Practice at Middle School Field
Grades 1 & 2 will have four weeks of training before they play any scrimmages; this gives the girls a chance to learn the basics and get comfortable playing.
When is Registration and Sign Ups:
- Registration for Grades 5-6 now open, please visit: abgirlslax.org (early bird discount ends 12/1)
- Registration for Grades 3-6 and 1-2 opens on November 18th
How much does it cost to play lacrosse on the town team?
- $75 (Grades 1 & 2) $145 (Grades 3-4) Annual Fee plus Annual US Lacrosse dues $30 which must be paid before or when you register.
Fee includes costs associated with pre-season field rentals, league games and Jamboree
- $55 for New Uniforms for players in Grades 3-4. Players in Grade 1-2 will receive an included pinnie.
What other costs are there?
- Equipment: Each player needs a lacrosse stick, goggles, mouth guard (cannot be clear or white), cleats/turf shoes and a water bottle.
Where do I buy Equipment?:
- There is a lacrosse sporting goods store on Great Road in Acton called Hit the Net Sports - www.hitthenet.net
- Another good option is ComLax in Marlborough - www.comlax.com
- A great place for second hand equipment is Play It Again Sports in Leominster - www.playitagainsportsma.com
- Extra sticks and eye gear are likely available if you are new to the sport and not ready to purchase equipment.
Girls are not allowed to wear ANY jewelry including earrings. Please plan to get their ears pierced well before the season starts so that it is not a problem at the first game. Taping is not allowed. The referee will make the girls take their earrings out. No Exceptions.
Who will be coaching my daughter on the Town Team?
- Grades 5-6: AB Girls Program coaches & Laura Silk
- Grades 3-4: Mark Becker & Erin Baker & Bromfield Varsity volunteers on occasion
- Grades 1-2: Jen Pinney, Erik Skulte & Bromfield Varsity volunteers on occasion
How can I help?
Board Volunteers are needed. If interested, please contact Jason Pinney at
Note: These FAQ’s are based upon information that we know right now. Most of the above items will not change. That said, circumstances between now and the spring might arise that require us to change something.